May 31, 2017
We stand firm by our belief that coconut sugar is the absolute best option for sweeteners available today. We use coconut sugar in all of our Bean to Bar chocolate, from our dark coconut mylk bars to our single origin bars. You could say we're a little obsessed with it, and we have a few good reasons why.
The rich, creamy, caramel notes provided by coconut sugar are second to none, and complement the flavors of our organic unroasted cacao beautifully. Next time you take a bite of one of our chocolate bars, tune your taste buds to the floral overtones that are completely unique to coconut sugar.
2) WE LOVE HOW COCONUT SUGAR IS MADE: Coconut sugar comes from the sap of cut flower buds of the coconut palm. Bundles of blossoms of the coconut tree are ‘tapped’ while still on the tree. Over time, sap flows from the cut flowers and is collected in bamboo containers.
The sap, which is composed of about 80% water at this point, is transferred to large woks and placed over moderate heat to evaporate. This eventually produces a thick syrup, which is then rubbed until it granulates. The granules are then sieved to desired size or formed into cakes.
Check out the video below from Big Tree Farms, one of our fair trade suppliers, to learn about the adventure our coconut palm sugar takes to get to you, from tree to tongue.
3) COCONUT SUGAR IS COMPLETELY NATURAL AND VEGAN. Unlike cane sugar, which is often filtered and bleached using bone char derived from cow bones, and beet sugar, which is highly processed and almost always made from GMO beets, coconut sugar is a minimally processed product that comes straight from coconut flowers - so you never need to worry that animals were harmed in the making of our chocolate.
4) COCONUT SUGAR CONTAINS INULIN, a prebiotic fiber that supports the beneficial flora in your digestive tract, and also slows the absorption of sucrose into the bloodstream (inulin is what makes pure coconut sugar rank @ 35 on the glycemic index - lower than an apple). No sugar high means no sugar crash. Clinical research has investigated prebiotics like Inulin for their potential to support gut health, immunity, blood sugar and fat metabolism, and bone health, and to reduce risk of colon cancer, type 2 Diabetes, and more.
5) COCONUT SUGAR IS A WHOLE FOOD SWEETENER. This means it contains all of its original trace minerals & phytonutrients in their natural, unrefined state, including high levels of potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc and calcium, as well as valuable antioxidants. For example:
A recent study in the ASEAN Food Journal found that coconut sugar contains about 71 percent sucrose (compared to 100 percent sucrose in refined sugar), 3 percent glucose and 3 percent fructose. This means that about 22 percent of coconut sugar is made up of valuable nutrients, inulin, and antioxidants.
This is why our chocolate bars contain less grams of sugar (aka sucrose) per serving than other brands at the same cacao percentage. For the same amount of coconut sugar, you consume less sucrose, and get all these awesome nutrients.
6) COCONUT SUGAR IS GOOD FOR THE PLANET, TOO! We exclusively use organic, fair trade coconut sugar sourced from farms in Southeast Asia that use sustainable practices to nurture the earth, the plants, and the farmers.
Coconut trees are powerful soil builders and balancers, and they provide shade for other sensitive food crops that don’t like much sun, like cacao. In return, cacao plants produce high quantities of soil fertilizing nitrogen (nature's Miracle Gro). When cacao plants are cut back, the leaves are tossed on the ground to decompose, feeding the soil and supporting coconut palms and other plants in the forest.
Our commitment to excellence from tree to tongue means that our dark chocolate bars made with coconut mylk & coconut sugar are better for you, for the farmers that produce our ingredients, and for the big beautiful planet that we all call home.
May 31, 2017
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …